Chief Operating Officer
Company: BLUE MOUNTAIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Posted on: November 19, 2021
- The COO oversees the implementation of company strategies that
are created by senior management and has the responsibility of
"delivering results on a day-to-day, quarter-to-quarter basis"
- Spearheads new initiatives with business plan and delivery
metrics in partnership with the Executive Vice President.
- Supervises the other "chief officers" of the organization
(Chief Finance and Business Operations; Chief Information
Technology; Chief Human Resources); Director, Facilities and
Grounds, and the Foundation Director.
- Be the first responder in crisis or "critical" change response
to the community
- Provide oversight for campus safety.
- Performs all functions and activities in accordance with
approved policies and procedures and within the guidelines and
philosophy set forth in the BMCC Mission, Vision and Strategic
Essential Job Functions
- Fosters a working environment emphasizing collaboration, one
college (no silos), on-going professional development, creative
thinking, open communication, and innovation.
- Supports and champions a student's first vision and operations
- Encourages and fosters innovation, business plan development
and deliverables for a nimble college.
- Leads employees to encourage maximum performance and
- Evaluates performance by analyzing and interpreting data and
- Provides leadership support in the development of the College
annual budget building process and budget planning through the
subsequent biennium in collaboration with the Chief Finance
Officer, the Executive Vice President, and the President that align
with Board goals and guidance.
- Ensures the budget process is integrated with strategic
planning. Provide ongoing leadership for financial decision making
at the College.
- Designs and implements business strategies, plans and
procedures that support the Executive VP
- Assists Foundation Director and CEO in fundraising and grant
Administrative Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Supports and monitors the comprehensive goals, budget and
metrics for performance and growth as agreed to by CPC and exec
- Reviews and revises policies that promote BMCC vision, mission,
values and goals with the Executive VP and President
- Oversees and is knowledgeable about daily operations of BMCC
and the work of IT, Finance, HR, Facilities, and the
- Collaborates with other departments in the college and is the
leader for the operational areas of the college in the development
and oversight of related strategic planning, unit outcomes,
policies, and accreditation standards.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of appropriate
administrative and operational procedures for the operations of the
- Oversees personnel actions in collaboration with the Chief
Human Resources Officer; Examples include payroll, employment, and
termination actions and the recruitment, assignment, supervision,
and evaluation of staff.
- Oversees the overall finance and budgeting of the college with
the Chief Finance Officer offering support, options and delivery of
timely and useable budgets and forecasting.
- Oversees the overall technology of the college with the Chief
Technology Officer offering support, options and delivery of timely
and useable technology.
- With the Director, Facilities and Grounds, administers the
operation and maintenance of college facilities, including
custodial, maintenance, and grounds. Assumes oversight
responsibility for remodeling, construction, facility safety, and
ADA building compliance, and other physical facility related items.
Coordinates the rental and partner usage of facilities that
supports the strategic direction of the college
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with College, State, and
Federal safety regulations, employee safety training, OSHA
compliance, and emergency planning related to area of control.
- Develops or ensures the development of reports to the
President, to the Board of Education, and to local, state or
federal agencies as may be required by law, policy, administrative
ruling, or good management practice including, for example, Clery
- Provides Safety oversight for the college serving as the
College's Safety Officer.
- Assists in developing collective bargaining agreements and is
responsible for their administration and maintenance.
- Serve as a member of BMCC's President's Executive Team.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities as requested by the
- Required to attend monthly Board of Education meetings.
- Actively participates as leader or other member of college
teams and committees, as assigned.
- Chairs the colleges Emergency Response Team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills, and
abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual
can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without
reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills
- Superior oral, interpersonal, and written communication
- An in-depth understanding of and familiarity with the
following: budgetary procedures, fund accounting, public-management
processes, human resources, information systems and technology, and
- Understands change leadership in a college structure
- Demonstrated ability to make data-informed decisions, including
a solid grounding in data analysis techniques and moving data to
information to knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and maintain an atmosphere of
openness, collaboration, trust, accessibility, and collegiality
with faculty, staff, executive leadership, the Board of Directors,
students, and the larger community.
- Excellent management, organizational, supervisory, and
participatory leadership skills, including the ability to assess
problem situations and resolve them quickly and effectively.
- Must possess excellent strategic-thinking and conceptual skills
that facilitate planning and results.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, to prioritize effectively,
and to function under duress.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Masters' degree in Business Administration or a related field
from an accredited college/university preferred; or a bachelor's
degree in Business Administration or a related field and
demonstrated experience comparable to the degree requirement.
- Five (5) years of senior administrative and supervisory
experience in the management of fiscal and operating resources and
activities in either the public or private sector required.
Experience to include management experience in one or more of the
following areas: information systems, entrepreneurial operations,
planning, budgeting, accounting, human resources, facility
management, and multi-site operations.
- Valid driver's license required.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Higher education experience preferred; community college
experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with collective bargaining desired. Additional
This is a full time position with excellent benefits including:
Medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment,
and long term disability insurance; Paid holidays; Sick leave;
Vacation; and Tuition waiver for employee and qualified
Pay: _ $84,121 to $98,959/year DOQ _
This position is opened until filled, first review of complete
applications is August 23rd, 2021.
APPLICATION PACKETS MUST INCLUDE:
Upload the following documents to your application. Please be sure
to include all requested documents and supplements outlined below
BEFORE you submit. You cannot upload after submission. Applications
that are incomplete will not be reviewed and will be discarded
- Transcripts of course work - graduate and undergraduate (if
applicable) unofficial are acceptable for the application
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the minimum qualifications
as outlined in the position description;
- Statement of Philosophy on " How do you build sustainable
systems, processes and ownership in a college adjusting to a new
organizational structure that has limited resources? "
Please contact Human Resources ) if you have a special
need/accommodation to aid your participation in our hiring
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the
employment term. No sponsorship is available for this position.
Blue Mountain Community College is an equal opportunity educator
and employer. For complete EEO disclosure statement please go
Keywords: BLUE MOUNTAIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Yakima , Chief Operating Officer, Executive , Pendleton, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!