Housing Facilities Manager Washington
Company: Central Washington University
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Central Washington University is recruiting a Housing Facilities
Manager (Maintenance Specialist 4) to join our Housing Facilities
team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of
our team as theyenhance the vision for the University. The role is
a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you
are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on experience,
from $72,552 - $84,192 annually plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives.
No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and
empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career
choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating
across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries,
athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining,
conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers,
housing, health services, police and public safety for the campus
population of -10,000 students.
Central Washington University has been named a Fulbright U.S.
Scholar Program Top Producing Institution for the 2022-2023
academic year. In addition, for the seventh time in eight years,
CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence
in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine.
Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create
spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here:
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy
and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical,
dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional
savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents,
discounts across town, an employee assistance program for
individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn
more: CWU Benefits, Perks & Discounts Overview.
The Maintenance Specialist 4 leads all housing facility functions
including housing warehouse work, refuse, recycling, sustainability
initiatives, furniture, appliances, upholstery shop, pest control.
They oversee the review of on campus housing facilities, coordinate
inspections and maintenance of residential units, and work closely
with Housing and Conference Services and Residence Life to ensure
optimized, safe, and comfortable housing for students and
This position will provide strategic vision, coordination, and
leadership to CWU's residential campus facilities encompassing over
1.2 million square feet and over 25 buildings/complexes. This
position will have principal oversight, coordination, and
facilitation with Facilities Management and Capital Planning
offices as appropriate, such as building services, capital
improvements, deferred maintenance, grounds, emergency response and
The Maintenance Specialist 4 is responsible for representing
priorities of HRL including such areas as the long term strategic
annual and on-going preservation maintenance priorities, overall
warehouse operations and project management coordination.
Departments such as Capital, Facilities, Maintenance, Grounds,
Space Planning, Dining Services, SURC, Auxiliary Services, Police
Services, Business Services and Contracts.
This position reports to the Executive Director of Housing and
Residence Life and serves as a key leader in Housing and Residence
Life team and sits on the core leadership team. All employees are
expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity and to bring and
support inclusion into the university environment.
Housing Facilities Services:
- Coordinate day-to-day oversight and care for CWU's residential
facilities in partnership with FMD, Custodial, Grounds, Information
Services, and others to ensure a positive living experience for
residents and guests and lasting stewardship of residential
- Manage housing facilities contracts and purchasing including
preventative maintenance service contracts, furniture/appliance
replacement rotation, utilities, etc.
- Serve as primary point of contact with campus partners for
routine maintenance/repairs, minor renovations/projects and larger
- Inspect all housing facilities (all common space) on a monthly
basis. Identifies and addresses maintenance and custodian need for
all housing facilities and works with other departments
facilities/maintenance to ensure timely, economical, and efficient
response. Processing work orders as needed.
- Coordinate with Housing Services large scale move in and out
processes in conjunction with FMD.
- Coordinate apartment and residence hall turns including check out
pre-inspections, apartment inspections, facilitate level and scope
of work to turn spaces, ensure spaces are ready for new
- Prepare reports with Housing and Residence Life teams regarding
schedules, lists, and prep for major facility needs (residence hall
opening, apartment turns, etc). Schedule Housing Facilities staff
- Oversee the refuse and recycle removal with HRL warehouse staff
including: in residence halls and apartments, dining other
auxiliary spaces, SURC facilities, and housing recreational areas
(including basketball courts, and volleyball pits).
- Review student appeals and resolves escalated resident concerns
with focus on safety and well-being, community needs, and a
positive living/learning environment.
- Train department staff on check-in and check-out procedures to
ensure upkeep of physical facilities.
- Develop, implement, and monitor training materials for staff.
- Reviews policies, procedures, priorities, goals and objectives
pertaining to on-campus housing facilities.
- Oversee departmental inventories of resources (including
furniture and equipment) and serves in loss prevention role of
working with business services and contracts and University Police.
This includes oversight of all housing storage facilities.
- Coordinate and prioritize all requests for public area upgrades
(paint projects, furniture placement, lobby set up, etc.).
Projects, Capital, and Renovations:
- Work with CWU's FMD and Capital Planning departments to meet
HRL's objectives through managing complex projects, residential
needs, and priorities to support students' engagement and
- Develop and implement long range Housing facilities plans, in
line with Campus Master Plan, to include building, space, systems,
interiors, amenities, and furnishings.
- Communicate long-range plans with university constituents in
making financial planning decisions or changes to the plans as
deemed necessary based on administrative needs, physical demands,
budgetary constraints, etc.
- Monitor and support leadership of ongoing projects with Capital
Planning and FMD.
- Develop and implement long range plan for furniture and equipment
replacement. This includes development and purchasing plan for the
public area program amenities within housing buildings.
- Maintain detailed familiarity and records of all housing
facilities including student spaces, building systems, building
- Supervise journey-level trades workers, general maintenance
mechanics, professional, and student staff in Housing Facilities
including: HRL Warehouse staff, HRL pest control and HRL upholstery
- Actively engage in recruitment and hiring new employees.
- Clearly define performance expectations, ensure accountability,
and provide ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring.
Conduct formal performance evaluations.
- Ensure employees have necessary resources.
- Oversee and direct the work of staff; serve as mentor, coach and
leader, and resolve complaints or issues.
- Promote professional development opportunities.
- Develop and foster supportive working relationships, motivation
- Communicate information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence
staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community.
- Take corrective action in a timely manner.
- Recognize and reward employees for good performance.
- Schedule employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked;
approve payable time and absence requests.
- Adjust leadership style as needed to achieve results.
- Recognize value of and promote a diverse workforce.
- Value and encourage diverse perspectives, creativity, and
Housing Facilities Leadership:
- Oversee the use, strategic vision, and operations of physical
space of 1.2 million square feet of housing facilities with 4200+
beds within 25+ buildings/complexes.
- Serve as a key member of the Housing and Residence Life
- Responsible for representing priorities of Housing and Residence
Life including such areas as the long term strategic annual and
on-going preservation maintenance priorities, overall warehouse
operations and project management coordination.
- Represent facility interests of Housing and Residence Life on
campus committees, task forces, and to campus partners.
- Serve as a liaison for Housing and Residence Life to Facilities
Management, Custodial, Grounds, Information Services and Capital
- Serve as subject matter expert in applicable facilities best
practices, building codes, project management, sustainability,
construction, and renovations.
- Plan and engage in HRL wide assessment.
- Member of incident response team, respond to campus facility
emergencies in their area of support as needed.
- Advocate for student needs in timely and quality of
- Set policies and procedures with campus partners to ensure
service levels are adequate.
- Ensure compliance with relevant residential health and safety
standards including inspections, policies, laws and practice
related to fire safety, health code, building needs, lead paint,
asbestos, and health and safety inspections.
- Coordinate quarterly fire drill of residence halls and
establishes routine checks of fire safety equipment, coordinates
inspection and replacement of fire safety equipment.
- Coordinate safety materials to residents in apartments including
information pertaining to fire safety, life safety, and personal
safety. Ensures that fire safety, lead paint updates, and asbestos
related material is up to date and issued when required.
- Oversee and monitor key use and approves key authorizations for
housing buildings for staff. Approves quarterly key inspections,
audits regularly, and works with FMD lockshop in the case of
missing keys. Informs HRLs key use policies.
- Coordinate with support staff communication regarding facility
projects (i.e., outages, repairs, inspection, etc.).
- Serves with relevant leadership teams in emergency response
scenarios (fire, act of nature, campus-wide emergencies, etc.)
Responsible for contacting and organizing the Maintenance
Housing Facilities Budget and Planning:
- Oversee Housing Facilities budgets. Monitor, forecast, and
strategically determine the best stewardship of funds. Communicate
budgeted facility needs with campus partners and the Executive
Director of Housing and Residence Life.
- Works with the Housing Services leadership to manage occupancy,
make occupancy projections, and make program adjustments to keep
occupancy at a desirable level.
- Review Housing Facilities budgets and prepare reviews of
expenditure reports and annual budgets.
- Monitor housing budgets; vehicle maintenance, and support
- Approves expenditures within internal department approval
- Maintains involvement in international, regional, and state-wide
housing and union associations to keep operations updated and
- Responds in campus emergencies to Housing Facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to area of assignment AND
5 years of progressively responsible housing and/or facilities
experience OR any combination of trades, skills, education and
experience which clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the
essential functions of the job.
Experience working with facilities and maintenance.
Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including oral and
Experience leading others and operating strategic vision for
Demonstrated ability and/or experience working with students and/or
co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and
OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which
demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the
Certifications in construction management, sustainability,
management, project management or other related fields.
Experience supervising professional or student staff.
Experience in the development of short and long-range plans for
financial and programmatic improvements.
Experience working with purchasing and maintenance trades.
Project or Program Management experience in facilities or capital
A record of promoting inclusivity in the work environment.
Demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for
students through various activities.
Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of
own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time,
meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and
determines appropriate course of action.
Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals.
Encourages participation and mutual support.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business
needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve
results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and
helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Don't meet every single requirement? At CWU we're dedicated to
building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if
you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align
perfectly with every requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway.
This may be the job for you!
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $6,046 /month with periodic increases up to $7,016
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 7:00am-4:00pm (1 hour
Working Conditions: This position may work indoors and outdoors, at
times in hot/cold/noisy/dirty/wet/confined areas such as mechanical
rooms, manholes and excavations, and may need to physically access
work areas with the equipment and tools necessary for completion of
the job. This often requires
carrying/pulling/pushing/lifting associated with equipment or
tools. Some work is performed in an indoor office setting with
frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to
remain at a desk/ computer workstation for prolonged periods of
time, perform extensive data entry and other computer related
tasks. Occasional overtime is required, and shift work may be
required. May need to drive a service vehicle in congested
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including
medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings
plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick
leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional
information please visit: CWU Benefits, Perks & Discounts
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan
Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line
application and attach:
A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education
and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable,
preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to
perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
Resume including work history, education, training; and
Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: October 6, 2023
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening
date. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Keywords: Central Washington University, Yakima , Housing Facilities Manager Washington, Executive , Ellensburg, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!