Data Center Chief Engineer
Company: Amazon.com, Inc.
Posted on: June 9, 2021
How would you like to be a part of Earth's most customer-centric
company? You would work with teams of front-line responders who
support the operations of some of the world's most powerful data
centers. Our Data Center Engineering Operations team maintain and
operate our critical infrastructure systems so that they are
prepared to stand up against any situation.
AWS has the world's largest cloud computing portfolio. As an
Amazonian you will work in some of the most sophisticated, safe,
and secure data centers in the world. Our Chief Engineers help keep
them that way by working with the brightest minds from around the
globe to help test and implement the newest technology and work
practices to meet the demands of a changing market.
We have a passion for learning and evolving, it's how we have
helped define ourselves as leaders in the industry. Let's work
hard, have fun, and make history!
Day in the Life of a Chief Engineer
- Operate independently with limited direct management.
- Act as an escalation point for all facilities-related
- Oversee operation and management of routine and emergency
services on a variety of critical systems such as: switchgear,
generators, UPS systems, power distribution equipment, chillers,
cooling towers, computer room air handlers, building monitoring
- Drive projects with moderate complexity.
- Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures.
- Provide training and guidance to Engineering Operations
Technicians and responsible for working with Facility Manager (FM)
to set team culture.
- Responsible for drills that are building specific and
identifying team/individual areas for improvement. Also responsible
for working with FM to help improve on the identified
- Create and deploy ensure compliance for new standard practices
for Engineering Operations Technicians, and vendor support
- Establish building performance benchmarks, conduct analyses,
and prepare reports on all aspects of the critical facility
operations and maintenance.
- Communicate complex technical information to a non-technical
- May assist in the design and build out of new facilities.
- Work with IT managers and other business leaders to coordinate
projects, manage capacity, and optimize plant safety, performance,
reliability and efficiency.
- Respond to out of hours emergency calls - second level
escalation point for Data Center facilities related issues /
- Working outside of normal business hours for routine
maintenance as required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Walk job sites in uneven terrain. Maintain balance and perform
construction tasks while on a ladder.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 39 pounds independently and
participate in group lifts for 40+ pounds.
- Regularly walk, use hands and fingers, handle or touch, reach
with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other
legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who
would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
- Technical (Military/Trade School) training or degree in a
relevant field (for example: electrical, mechanical).
- 5+ years of electrical or mechanical experience.
- 4+ years of data center or mission critical facilities
(example: hospital, military facility, public safety facility,
- 5+ years of experience MS Office Suite experience.
- 4+ years of Data Center Engineering Experience.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree.
Keywords: Amazon.com, Inc., Yakima , Data Center Chief Engineer, Other , Umatilla, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!