Police Officer, Campus Safety
Company: Muhlenberg College
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Police Officer, Campus Safety
The College: Founded in 1848, Muhlenberg is a highly selective,
private, four-year residential, liberal arts college located in
Allentown, Pennsylvania, approximately 60 miles northwest of
Philadelphia and 90 miles west of New York City. With an
undergraduate enrollment of approximately 2,200 students,
Muhlenberg College is dedicated to shaping creative, compassionate,
collaborative leaders through rigorous academic programs in the
arts, humanities, natural sciences and social sciences as well as
selected pre-professional programs, including accounting, business,
education and public health. For more information, visit .
Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities:
- Clear commitment to and understanding of issues related to
diversity, inclusion, equity and bias and the ability to integrate
this into all aspects of the position.
- Patrols campus and all college buildings with attention to
life/safety issues including but not limited to: (1) Conditions
dangerous to persons; (2) Fire or conditions with potential for
fire; (3) Condition of operating equipment; (4) Security of
buildings and rooms not currently in use, open and/or secure same
if appropriate; (5) Conducting fire drills; (6) Conducting and
monitoring shelter in place drills; and (7) Enforcement of federal,
state, local and college laws and regulations
- Makes complete operations report to Director of Campus Safety
and Campus Police Supervisor.
- Assumes responsibility for operations in emergency situations,
including but not limited to: 1) fire, 2) bomb threat, 3)
catastrophe, 4) armed intruder; notifies the Director of Campus
Safety and/or their designee; determines the appropriate immediate
response of building/area occupants until the situation is resolved
or higher authority provides relief.
- Conducts initial investigation of all criminal complaints,
performs follow-up investigations when necessary, and documents all
information within the Omnigo Report System as required.
- Prepares criminal cases for civil authorities and/or campus
- Assists Student Health and Counseling Services in handling of
emergency medical and/or psychological concerns.
- Provides traffic control on campus as needed; issues tickets
for parking violations.
- Performs various safety inspections as directed.
- Assists the public and campus community in public relations
service (i.e., directions, information).
- Provides various services as required by department policy or
as required by Treasurer's Office, President's Office, or the Dean
- Carries and maintains the college-owned firearm and issued
- Assists with, prepares, and offers training, crime prevention,
and other educational programs for faculty, staff and
- Assists with the smooth operation of shift duties and
- Inspects and maintains, as necessary, all equipment related to
patrol. Reports equipment damage, defects, and maintenance concerns
to the appropriate individual when unable to resolve
- Conducts and documents daily inspections of patrol vehicles for
- Reports damage and maintenance issues related to the vehicle
- Performs various tasks related to Community Policing.
- Works with computer operating systems, including but not
limited to systems operating the card access, fire alarms, camera
systems, and ID computer.
- Accepts, documents, and packages all property and received
evidence in strict accordance with the department's property and
- Dispatches for short and/or extended periods of time based on
departmental needs and in accordance with the duties and
responsibilities of a part-time dispatcher.
- Routinely reviews department policies, keeps abreast of policy
changes housed in PowerDMS.
- Completes and maintains in good standing all training
requirements and certifications pertaining to the officer's
specific job function(s), including but not limited to firearms,
ASP baton, pepper foam, handcuffing, Mandatory In Service Training
(MIST), Clery, Title IX, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief or their
Qualifications & Work Conditions:
- College degree in Criminal Justice or related field or relevant
experience in an academic environment preferred.
- Act 235 certification with Firearm required; must be maintained
- Act 120 certification preferred; updates must be maintained
- First Aid/CPR/AED certification required; must be maintained
- Valid PA driver's license with clean driving record (as
maintained through Pennsylvania Department of Transportation or any
state Department of Motor Vehicles). Must be maintained throughout
- Ability to work hours as necessary based on the needs of the
department and campus community, including overtime and various
shifts. Initial shift assignment is not guaranteed as "permanent"
- Satisfactory completion of drug test in accordance with College
and Departmental procedures, including random drug testing
- Ability to hear non-amplified sounds/normal speaking voices at
a distance of 15 feet required.
- Must be able to see at least 20/70, uncorrected, in the
stronger eye, correctable to 20/20; and at least 20/200,
uncorrected, in the weaker eye, correctable to at least 20/40; and
must be free of any significant visual abnormality. Corrected
vision is required if uncorrected vision does not already meet
20/20, 20/40 standard.
- Ability to perform a variety of patrol and physical functions
including but not limited to driving in various weather/lighting
conditions, ability to walk stairs, ability to stand at stationary
posts for extended periods of time, ability to lift 50 pounds of
weight, climb steps and walk uneven terrain.
- Must possess strong computer skills, be willing and able to
learn new systems and functions.
- Possess good written and oral communication skills and fluency
in the English language (including ability to hear, speak and write
in English) required. Ability to speak a second language
- Due to the nature of the department, must maintain
confidentiality and demonstrate a personable manner. A signed
confidentiality agreement is required.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and deal effectively
with regular interruptions while maintaining accuracy and showing
patience for detail.
- Successful completion of background checks, including but not
limited to education and national criminal background. Clean
criminal background must be maintained throughout employment.
Interested candidates should upload their completed applications as
a single PDF file to Workday. A complete package includes: (1) a
cover letter; (2) resume; (3) contact information for three
professional recommenders; and (4) a statement describing how you
will enhance the Department and College's efforts to become a more
diverse and inclusive community. Application review will begin
immediately and continue until the position is filled. To initiate
your application, use the APPLY button.
An equal opportunity employer, Muhlenberg College is committed to
recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff from racial
and ethnic groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in
higher education. Please visit our Diversity & Inclusion page for
additional information about Muhlenberg's commitment to inclusive
excellence and the College's Diversity Strategic Plan
Muhlenberg College Annual Crime Reporting- As provided by the
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime
Statistics Act of 1998, prospective employees of Muhlenberg College
are entitled to request and receive a copy of the College Annual
Security Report (ASR). The ASR can be accessed at . This report
includes crime statistics on certain reportable crimes, as well as
Muhlenberg College Safety Policies. The report also includes
institutional policies concerning campus safety and police, such as
policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the
reporting of crimes, sexual assault and other matters. Anyone
wishing a paper copy of the ASR may contact the Campus Safety
Office at .
Keywords: Muhlenberg College, Yakima , Police Officer, Campus Safety, Other , Prosser, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!