Fish Culturist II (2) Positions (Sturgeon)
Company: Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Announcement #2022-241Issue Date:09-13-22Closing
Date:09-19-22Fish Culturist II (2) Positions Fisheries Resource
Management (FRM) Department of Natural ResourcesHourly Wage:
(Sturgeon)Performs a variety of technical task associated with
managing valuable fish stocks at the Marion Drain Sturgeon
Hatchery, spawning, incubation and rearing facility located near
Toppenish, WA. The incumbent support to the hatchery manager in the
collection and spawning of brood stock, incubation and egg
handling, administering treatments, biological sampling, feeding,
marking, fish transport and release. Hatchery maintenance duties
are a key responsibility of this position and include cleaning
ponds, filters and screens and maintaining pumps and small
enginesExamples of Work Performed:
- Assist in collecting natural origin sturgeon brood stock on the
main stem Columbia that at times requires handling and manipulation
of very large fish weighing several hundred pounds.
- Transport fish to and from the river and ensure proper
environmental conditions are maintained during transport.
- Administer hormone treatments to encourage egg release.
- Perform surgeries to determine sex, egg condition, and perform
microscopic examinations of fish.
- Examine fish to detect disease and administer prescribed
treatments as needed.
- Remove eggs from fish, weigh and sort eggs and attend to eggs
and fry in incubators. Set proper water flows and monitor egg
development and fish growth.
- Operate an eyeing or egg taking station as a sub-unit of the
- Transfer fry from incubators to ponds, prepare food and feed
fish. Net and mark sub-yearling fish before trucking to the various
release sites on the Columbia and Snake rivers.
- Monitor fish health; examine fish for disease symptoms,
parasites and nutritional disorders.
- Administer prescribed treatments and maintain treatment
- Maintain fish propagation records such as pond loss, weight and
size gains, medication, diets and water temperature.
- Clean ponds, troughs, trays, screens and racks; mend nets and
- Performs facilities and grounds maintenance including mowing
lawns, repairing and painting building and equipment.
- Operate various mechanical equipment such as pumps, grinders,
power mowers, forklift and light automotive equipment.
- Monitor water levels and implement feeding schedules and
support senior fish culturists in fish liberation activities.
- Maintain activity logs and prepare periodic reports of
activities. Perform record keeping including daily mortalities,
feed, pond daily checks and pumps.
- Take water samples and monitor dissolved gasses, suspend
dissolved solids, temperature and PH levels.
- Treat hatchery water as needed to ensure water quality.
- Operate and maintain a variety of pumps and power equipment to
include mowers, forklifts, chainsaws, string trimmers, front
loader, backhoe, snowmobiles, four wheelers and
snowplows.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of various species of fish; common fish diseases and
usual treatment habits of fish; care and propagation of fish;
methods, equipment and supplies used in maintenance of buildings
- Ability to work variable hours, long days, early mornings,
holidays and weekends as the work dictates.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural
- Ability to work in close proximity to cold, deep or fast moving
- Ability to us chemicals with limited exposure to treat fish or
disinfection of fish handling equipment to prevent or control fish
diseases. Minimum Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years fish Hatchery experience as a Fish Culturist I or
Fish Technician I.
- Required to pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must possess a valid Washington State Driver's License with the
ability to obtain a Yakama Nation Tribal Driving Permit.
- Enrolled Yakama Preference, but all qualified applicants are
encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to obtain a CDL in order to operate the fish
liberation tank truck.
Keywords: Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, Yakima , Fish Culturist II (2) Positions (Sturgeon), Other , Toppenish, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!