Company: Central Washington University
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Central Washington University is recruiting an Electrician to join
our Facilities Management Department/Maintenance team in
Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our
team as they maintain the electrical needs for the University. The
role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the
lives you are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on
experience, from $60,156 - $78,900 annually plus the awesome CWU
benefits. Who we are: We are a team of individuals committed to
Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a
part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their
dreams. Working in higher education provides career growth and
career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city,
operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics,
libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick
serve dining, conferences and events from small to large,
recreation centers, housing for -10,000 students, health services,
police and public safety. For the seventh time in eight years, CWU
is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in
Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come
join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces
where all identities thrive on campus.Tour our campus in Ellensburg
here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9A.The Electrician will play
a crucial role in serving the university's increasing electrical
maintenance needs in the years ahead. You will report to the
Maintenance Specialist 4 and Maintenance Specialist 5 serving the
Facilities Management Department. Under the general direction of
the Maintenance Specialist 4 you will coordinate the continued
development, implementation, and evolution of the maintenance
program of the University. The campus maintenance program must
comply with adopted safety standards; federal and state laws;
university policies and procedures; and align with the industry
best practices. The Facilities Management Department administration
is responsible for identifying, developing, implementing and
maintaining processes across the university to reduce maintenance
concerns and issues; respond to incidents; establish appropriate
standards and controls; and direct the establishment and
implementation of policies and procedures. The Maintenance
Specialist 4 and Maintenance Specialist 5 oversee policies and
standards; audits and evaluates effectiveness; and ensures
university-wide maintenance and safety awareness and compliance.
All employees are expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity
and to bring and support inclusion into the university
environment.www.cwu.edu/facilitiesWhat we offer: Our investment in
you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful
future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life
and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans,
tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across
town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling,
and a wellness incentive program. Learn more:
www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts.The Role:The Electrician
performs journey level electrical work and maintenance on campus
assets, buildings and infrastructures. This position provides the
first response to electrical problems, assists with elevators, and
provides a safe campus environment for the University community
that is conducive to learning, living, and working.
Journey Level Electrician Responsibilities:
- Effectively communicate and maintain positive working
relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the campus
community as well as the FMD management team. Perform work in a
manner that provides excellent service with nominal to no
inconvenience or disruption for the client. Perform quality work
that meets or exceeds the expectation of the client.
- Perform work using Best Practices while maintaining compliance
with applicable laws, codes, policies, and procedures to provide a
- Repair, test and maintain air conditioners, air compressors,
campus street and parking lot lighting, security lighting and
parking ticket dispenser, football, basketball, and baseball
scoreboards, the basketball and bleacher motors and cables, and
swimming pool pump motors.
- Perform all duties of journey electrician including but not
limited to: electric panels and circuit breakers motors, pumps,
generators, handicap door mats and motors, fluorescent and
incandescent lighting, electric eyes, controls, switches,
disconnects and line starters plus VFD units.
- Work with journeyman electricians, temporary electricians, and
other assigned crafts.
- Know and be familiar with electrical safety standards.
- Install, connect, operate and maintain a variety of electrical
- Install and maintain primary and secondary metering equipment and
- Read blueprints, schematics and drawings; Assist, when so
directed, consultants and contractors working on campus
- Enter time and attendance daily.
- Attend department meetings, safety meetings and training sessions
- Assist in locates for underground digs.
- Assist with elevator problems in academic and auxiliary
- Respond in emergency situations.
- Repair, test, maintain or install the campus distribution system
(15Kv) according to accepted electrical safety standards.
- Splice various types of multiphase power cable. Perform straight
splices and joints for branch lines and fittings for terminal
- Prepare systems to be worked on by contractors including
de-energizing equipment installing protective grounds.
- Respond to emergency situations such as power outages in order to
minimize or prevent loss of property, damage to research activities
or disruption to life safety systems.- Perform other duties as
- Minimum 01 journey level status as an electrician.
- Experience troubleshooting, operating and maintaining
distribution systems (15KV) and 600 volt building electrical
- Documented experience troubleshooting and operating buildings'
- Must have a valid vehicle driver's license.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with little
- Strong verbal and written communication and organizational
- Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with
students and staff from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which
demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the
- Preventive and planned electrical maintenance experience.
- Lighting controls experience.
- Possession of a State of Washington electrical license. (01
level status as an electrician)
- Variable Frequency Drive training.
- Must be able to read blueprints, schematics and drawings.
- Experience with building elevators.
- Experience or interest in mentoring students from a variety of
- Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues
into everyday conversations.
- Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to
CWU's commitment to inclusion and diversity. Competencies
- Perform our Best: Interact daily with faculty, students, staff,
and others in the campus community in a professional manner. Treat
others and be treated with respect; perform with integrity, honesty
and professionalism; participate constructively in open
communication; help to resolve issues and difficult situations in
ways that reduce conflict and maintain good working relationships;
improve work performance and take an active part in generating a
mutually supportive environment. Recognize that diversity is an
asset and value cultural, physical, and professional
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for
quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up
on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options
and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve
goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing
business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to
achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and
helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.Don't
meet every single requirement? At CWU we're dedicated to building a
diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited
about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with
every requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway. This may be
the job for you!
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $5,013 /month with periodic increases up to $6,575 /month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
/ May vary depending on needs of the department / WFSE Bargaining
Unit 1 Working Conditions: This position may work indoors and
outdoors, at times in hot/cold/noisy/dirty/wet/confined areas such
as mechanical rooms, manholes and excavations, and may need to
physically access work areas with the equipment and tools necessary
for completion of the job. This position often requires
carrying/pulling/pushing/lifting associated with equipment or
tools. Frequent use of personal protection equipment such as ear
plugs, safety glasses and filtration masks will be required.
Occasional overtime is required, and shift work may be required.
May need to drive a service vehicle in congested areas.Scheduled
hours and days off may vary depending on the needs of the
department. May be required to work weekends, evenings and
holidays. This position is subject to unplanned overtime including
emergency call back situations. Occasional travel may be required.
The incumbent may work outdoors, including working is inclement
weather during daylight and dark hours. In addition, this position
may be exposed to machinery, tools, electrical, equipment and
chemicals associated with maintenance. May work around all
utilities during excavations, maintenance and installations and be
exposed to insects that may be in the environment. Must maintain
awareness of immediate vicinity in order to recognize, respond to
and/or/ avoid potentially hazardous conditions/ surroundings. Must
possess dexterity of hands and fingers to handle materials
necessary to perform the functions of the job. This position is
considered an essential position and availability will be required
to respond to University emergencies.Benefits: CWU offers a
comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental
insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and
disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans
depending on employment classification. For additional information
please visit: www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts. An employee
of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit:
Keywords: Central Washington University, Yakima , Electrician, Professions , Ellensburg, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!